Summer hasn’t really started here in Portland but that hasn’t stopped me from preparing summery dishes (even if it is a little cold for them – I can’t believe how long the cold has hung on here this year!). This is one of my favorite recipes every summer because the flavors meld so well and it’s perfect served cold. Quinoa is a superfood, full of 8 amino acids, gluten free and full of protein so it’s also perfect for the littles!
Lime, Cilantro & Black Bean Quinoa Salad
Ingredients: Yields 8 servings
- 2 cups vegetable broth (chicken works great as well)
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed in cold water
- 2T olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 2T freshly squeezed lime juice (I often do more because I like the zestyness but you can always add at the end to your own personal taste)
- 1tsp lime zest
- 1/2 cup of black beans(can is okay just rinse them)
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, diced or halved
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
Directions: In a small bowl, mix together olive oil, garlic, lime juice, lime zest, stevia and salt & pepper. Put aside. In a large pot, add quinoa to boiling vegetable broth, stir, turn heat down to low, cover and let quinoa cook for about 20min. Once cooked, fluff quino with a fork and place in a medium size bowl.
Add lime dressing, black beans, cilantro and tomatoes. Mix. I like this cold, but you can also serve warm.
Also, pair it with plain yogurt – so yummy and the flavors really compliment each other! I hope this recipe helps contribute to some fabulous summer Bar-b-ques!
Filed under: Food, Monday Meals, Parenting tips | Tagged: blak bean, cilantro, food, healthy, lime, lime zest, monday meals, Quinoa, quinoa salad, recipe, salad, tomato, vegan, vegetarian | 1 Comment »