So I’ve toyed around with starting a “Pinterest to Realist” series here since we’re doing so many DIY for our wedding in t-minus 3 weeks and counting! Yikes! We’re having a desert table with a variety of pot-luck-style deserts (my Portland friends have graciously agreed to make a plate full of goodies each). Which means I have to figure out how to display that many deserts! I saw this on etsy:
And instantly wanted one but on our small budget just couldn’t afford the price tag on this beautiful piece so I started on my journey to making one of my own. But if you don’t have the 30 minutes + thrifting time to do the project than by all means just buy one of the pre-made pieces from Fresh Pastry Stand on etsy.
- 1 x cake stand handle fittings ($2.99 on ebay)
- 1 x ceramic drill bit for the size of your cake stand fittings ($10)
- 3 x vintage plates in 3 sizes from your local thrift store (we got all of ours from the bins for a whooping $2.50)
- Masking tape or painting tape
- Make and X in the middle of the plates with your masking tape (to reinforce when you drill)
- Measure your plate and mark a dot for the center on your blue tape
- Drill a hole with your ceramic drill bit. Using a teaspoon of water once the hole is started helps keep temp down and helps the drill bit grip. I drilled on my lawn so the bit could go through and not ruin anything but it still allowed the plate to be supported.
- Assemble the plates with the cake stand fittings; screw on underside of plate, metal washer, plastic washer, bottom plate, plastic washer, first tier level fitting, plastic washer, middle plate, plastic washer, second tier level fitting, plastic washer, top plate, plastic washer, top handle.
- Tighten and enjoy.
See? Easy Peasy. We didn’t bother with matching plates to carefully because we had collected a few florals plates for the desert table and I only belated decided to try this. I’m so pleased with how it looks though! Especially my little 70s one.